Setting Our Teens Up for Success, With Engaging Programs Promoting Academics, Citizenship and Positive Behaviors
The Teen Center
Location: Collins Middle School
Monday through Friday 2-8 p.m. (Half Days - Club opens at 11:30 a.m.)
*Please note: The Club follows the Salem Public School, half day schedule and does not accommodate all Salem High School early dismissals.
We are also open during February and April Vacation Weeks and full professional development days from 8:00-5:30 p.m.
The Boys & Girls Club of Greater Salem - Teen Center, is for youth ages thirteen to eighteen years old, and is located at our main site, Collins Middle School, 29 Highland Ave. Our primary goal is to provide Youth a safe and fun environment with programs, events and activities that foster the development of good character and leadership and prepare youth to become career and college ready. Our Club engages in a Formula for Impact that ensures that success is within reach of every young person who walks through our doors with all members promoted from one grade to the next and on track to graduate from high school with a plan for the future, demonstrating good character and citizenship, and living a healthy lifestyle. This Formula is accomplished by employing caring adult professionals, utilizing nationally tested programs including those that are evidence-based, and understanding that we are “Powered by the Community.” Our mission is to “Value, Inspire and Nurture Youth.”
The following are some teen programs currently offered: (November 1 through December 23, 2016)
- Keystone (Mondays, 7:15 p.m.) Keystoning is the Boys & Girls Club most dynamic teen program. It affords teens an opportunity to gain valuable leadership and service experience. They conduct activities in three areas: academic success, career exploration and community service.
- #WeOwnFridays (One Friday a Month) One Friday a month, Keystone will host a #weownfridays event. This event is put together by Teens and for Teens as recruitment tool and way of taking ownership of the Teen Center. Members will participate in team building events, team challenges, sport events, tournaments and dances.
- Digital Photography (Tuesdays, 4:00 p.m.) With the use of 2 digital cameras and editing software, youth will create a gallery that highlights their view of the community. While the project will be focused on positive self-expression, the technological skills acquired will benefit the participants in the 21st century workplace.
- Diploma's to Degrees (1st Wednesday of every month--Nov. 2 & Dec. 7) National Boys & Girls Club of America college readiness program that provides a range of services to guide Club members as they work toward high school graduation and prepare for post-secondary education and career success. Topics include: Financial Aid, Application process etc. Members will be taken on College Tours and Colleges Fairs as part of the program.
- Trivia Night (2nd Wednesday of every month--Nov. 9 & Dec. 14) Teen members engage in a fun interactive Trivia Game hosted by our Teen Director. Teens are broken up into groups and answer questions from all different categories. Weekly prizes are given to the winning team.
- Dinner (Mondays & Wednesdays, 5:45 p.m.) The Club provides Dinner to our Teen members on Mondays, Wednesday and Fridays. Dinner includes fresh vegetables, protein and milk.
- Art of Expression (Thursdays, 4:00 p.m.) Creative teens will meet weekly to discuss and create projects that will highlight your unique perspectives of the world. The program is all about Teens! Whatever they dream up, they will work together to make a reality.
- Cooking--Fridays starting November 4, 5:00 p.m.
- Youth of the Year (coming January 2017) Youth of the Year is a National Boys & Girls Club Program that recognizes youth that attend the Club regularly and embody values of leadership, service, academic excellence and healthy lifestyles. The member exemplifies the impact that B&G Clubs have on the lives of young people.
- Open Gym--Mondays, Tuesdays & Thursdays 6:00-8:00 p.m.
Upcoming Teen Events!!!
3 on 3 Tournament (Thursday, November 10, 6:00 p.m.) Boys & Girls may register a 3 person team to compete in the tournament. T shirts and prizes available!
Play for Peace (Thursday, November 17, 6:00 p.m.) A fin night of basketball bringing Teen Community Members & the Salem Police Department together. Prizes, Music, T shirts and half time fun!