A Safe, Fun Environment for Children to Flourish
Drop In Program
Location: Collins Middle School
Monday through Friday 2-6 p.m. (Half Days--Club opens at 11:30 a.m.)
We are also open during February and April School vacations and full professional development days from 8:00-5:30 p.m.
The Boys & Girls Club of Greater Salem, offers a high quality, After School Program, for children eight through twelve years old at our main site, Collins Middle School, 29 Highland Ave. Our primary goal is to provide children a safe and fun environment with activities that promote the physical, social and emotional development of its members. Our Club engages in a Formula for Impact that ensures that success is within reach of every young person who walks through our doors with all members promoted from one grade to the next and on track to graduate from high school with a plan for the future, demonstrating good character and citizenship, and living a healthy lifestyle. This Formula is accomplished by employing caring adult professionals, utilizing nationally tested programs including those that are evidence-based, and understanding that we are “Powered by the Community.” Our mission is to “Value, Inspire and Nurture Youth.”
A wide variety of programs that focus on four core areas:
• Character and Leadership
• Education and Career
• The Arts
• Sports, Fitness and Recreation
Commitment to Salem Public Schools-Power Hour
The Boys & Girls Club of Greater Salem is committed to support Salem Public Schools in their mission to provide children with a sound education that supports each student enrolled to become career and college ready. We work closely with school Principals and teachers to provide the best support we possibly can for each student.
We strongly believe in the implementation of a Boys & Girls Club of America program called Power Hour. Power Hour is a coordinated and supervised homework component which provides children with the help and assistance they need to ensure that homework is completed, children are engaged and high quality is maintained.
Boys & Girls Club staff and volunteers are provided with strategies, activities, resources and the necessary information to create engaging homework help and tutoring programs that encourage children to become self-directed learners. Our mission is to work with classroom teachers to meet the academic needs of all of our members.
Our Programs: (Oct. 3 through Holiday Break 2016)
- Lego League: Tues. Weds. & Thurs. 4:30-6 p.m. Design, build and program a robot using Lego Mindstorms to solve a World Challenge. Members will attend & compete in a regional tournament in early December.
- Girl Scouts: Thursdays, 4:30-5:30 p.m. In partnership with the Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts, female members will explore the following modules; Fit & Beautiful, Finance & Business, STEM and Forests, Farms and Blueways.
- Salem Access Television--SATV: Tuesdays, 4:15-6 p.m. In partnership with our cable access television, SATV members will create a News program based on activities & events happening at the Club. Programs will be aired on SATV channels.
- Music & Drum Party: Mondays, 4:30-5:30 p.m. Learn to create drum beats with ordinary recycled goods; buckets, cans & bottles. Under the direction of Josenny Duran, this is a fun upbeat program that is sure to be a blast!
- Torch Club: Fridays, 4:00-5:00 p.m. Small group of standout Club members, 10-13 years old that demonstrate outstanding character and leadership in and outside the Club.
- NFL Club: Thursdays, 4:30 p.m. Members will explore teams and player stats and select winners for each NFL game. The members with the most wins will receive a prize.
- Friday Night Lights: Fridays 4:00-5:00 p.m. In house football league is played on Fridays from 4-5 p.m. members have been placed on teams and will play weekly.
- Traveling Floor Hockey: Practice--Tuesdays 4:00-5:00 p.m.
- 10/3--Away vs. Stoneham, 7:00 p.m.
- 10/5--Home Vs. Salem NH, 6:00 p.m.
- 10/12--Away vs. Assabet Valley, 7:00 p.m.
- 10/19--Away vs. Billerica, 6:00 p.m.
- 10/26--Home vs. Waltham, TBA
- 11/4--Away vs. Nashua, NH, 6:00 p.m.